Monday, November 9, 2009

Hawaii Day 5

We docked at Kona on the big island of Hawaii. This was the morning I dreaded the whole trip. Scuba diving! If you know me you know I'm scared to death of water. Lakes, ocean whatever it scares me. So this was the longest breakfast ever. We booked a snorkeling excursion before coming on the cruise for half the day.We got off the boat early that morning to meet the the captain of the boat. It took a long time to get to the first location (the longest boat ride of my life)

On the way we saw some playful dolphins swimming along the boat. I was at the tip of the boat and could get close enough to touch one. We swam at our first location for a half hour or so. It took me a minute to get out of the boat and concentrate on not having a heart attack. But once i got in the water and held hands with Ken, i calmed down. When we were heading towards our second location, a dolphin followed us all the way and immediately everyone jumped in to snorkel with a dolphin.
At one point it went to the bottom of the ocean floor and was rubbing it's back on the sand. We could hear it talking and it was so playful coming within a foot of us. The workers on the boat said it had never happened on any of her boat rides. People sometimes pay hundreds of dollars to swim with dolphins and they may not even see any.

The fish were so beautiful and you could get close enough to touch them.




Dinner at the captains table that night.

2 comments:

Christina said...

Wow! That is amazing! For being scared of the water, I'm surprised you didn't have a life jacket on while on the boat! All I can picture is Sandra Bullock on the movie The Proposal flying off the boat into the water! :)

Love the swim suit! :)

Nikki said...

I'd so pee my swim suite at the thought of getting in the water to snorkle!!!! Way to stay tough!! Looks like it was a lot of fun!!